Work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team of technicians in the Testing / Development group, providing technical support to develop, test and deliver Universal Jointing (UJ) and allied technology products to time, budget and quality.
- Follow Testing House / Development processes and ensure that work is well documented, ensuring that procedures relating to laboratory activities are current and clearly understood.
- To be aware of the principals involved in the construction of qualification samples and have the knowledge to evaluate the results and information given by the Test House or other parties
- Understand and apply testing methodologies for destructive and non-destructive approaches, ensuring that appropriate control and evaluation takes place before, during, and after the test
- To be aware of the requirements of Development equipment and ensure that it is always available for use, by careful planned maintenance and calibration, and by sufficient familiarity with the intricacies of the operation of the equipment, to effect routine maintenance
- Carry out the practical aspects of product testing including preparation and installation of samples into the testing machinery during each phase of the testing specification, and readiness for return to the customer. In each case the highest quality of professional workmanship will be exercised
- The building of test samples in the development lab and to be competent in all aspects of UJ / UQJ and associated jointing techniques.
- To carry out assembly of test samples to order. Compose new specifications where necessary and implement the use of suitable tooling or develop new tools where needed.
- To complete all build book and records for each sample constructed. And ensure that all build information is recorded electronically for each assembly then stored in the appropriate digital location.
- To undertake maintenance and / or repair development equipment as needed.
- Carry out routine calibration of all development lab equipment and keep database updated.
- To assist in carrying out specific qualification test providing detailed records for inclusion in Qualification Test Reports.
- Assist in the design and develop tools and equipment. To contribute to the effectiveness of tools and equipment through the application of technical and practical skills.
- Follow the cable services quality system and assist in maintaining ISO9001 registrations.
- Follow safe working practices and ensure compliance by others, including customers, and by using the appropriate persuasive skills to ensure safety is known to be paramount and acted upon accordingly.
- ONC in engineering subject or technical training or technical training and experience appropriate to the work involved in Universal jointing and allied technologies.
- Be conversant in the use of common and advanced laboratory equipment. Demonstrate practical skills both mechanical and in the handling of optical fibres.
- The ability to work on complex issues both in a team and individually, under pressure and in a quality way.
- Be proficient in the use of tests associated with the work area specification